Temple Baptist Church Hattiesburg has voted to become two independent churches. The transition will begin immediately with a transition team being appointed at both locations to help smooth the transfer. Functionally, the two campuses will separate on Jan 1, 2011. The East Campus will then have all
of next year to organize as a separate church by Jan. 1, 2012.
A ballot passed out at the Temple West campus on Sunday morning Oct. 3, informed the congregation of several items including:
- The West Campus will supplement the East Campus budget by $100,000 for 2011.
- An East Campus Church Organizational team will be appointed to create the structure for a separate church.
- Appoint a team consisting of East and West Campus members to work through legal and logistical matters between the two campuses.
- Pending approval by the appropriate committees, the general outline of the assets of the new church would be
- A. The property at 1508 Hardy St., Activity Building, and Missions House.
- B. No Assumption of debt.
- C. Two Vans
Gary Shows Executive Pastor at Temple said this in a prepared release:
“For the health of the church and good of the Hattiesburg area, we’ve decided that the two campuses should function autonomously. We hope to continue working together in our efforts to share the gospel with the people of Hattiesburg and with people groups around the world. We do believe that individual autonomy will help us be more effective in our distinctive contexts. This recommendation comes with the unanimous support of Temple’s pastors and deacons.”
Both campuses voted on the issue Sunday and the ballot was approved by nearly 94% of those voting.