Record 4-2, 1-1 C-USA
L, 44-43, East Carolina (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss./32,334
Oct. 16 – at Memphis (Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium/61,000), 11 am [CSS/, Richard Cross play-by-play; Brian Jordan, analysis; Allison Williams, sideline]
Player of the Week Nominations
Jamie Collins, LB, 6-3, 231, So., McCall Creek, Miss.
Collins led the team in tackles for the second consecutive week with seven, including three solos and four assists. He added a half sack and a half TFL, while tallying a 32-yard interception return for a touchdown. It was his first INT for a score and second career touchdown, after returning a fumble 16 yards against Tulane last season. Helped the Golden Eagles limit ECU to 33-yards on the ground.
Danny Hrapmann, PK, 5-9, 160, r-Jr., New Orleans, La.
Hrapmann collected a school-record five field goals, hitting them from 28, 39, 39, 49 and 49 yards. He has now converted 16-straight field goal attempts dating back to the New Orleans Bowl last season. He have made 10 of his 14 field goals this season from 30-yards or farther and five 40-yards or farther. He added a 19-yard run on a fake punt late in the game to keep a drive alive. He added four extra points and has now converted all 19 extra point tries this season. He ranks No. 1 in the country in field goals and No. 17 nationally in scoring (10.2 ppg).
* The Golden Eagles had an 11-game home winning streak as well as a streak of nine homecoming victories snapped in its loss Saturday versus East Carolina.
* The squad registered its second non-offensive touchdown of the season and sixth of the Fedora era when Jamie Collins returned an interception 32 yards for a score to give the Golden Eagles a late advantage.
* Southern Miss has limited its opponents to under 100 yards in each of the last three games and four times during the year. It was the first time in 14 games under Fedora that USM lost when they have done that. The 33 yards ECU gained on the ground is the fewest Southern Miss has surrendered this season.
* In a series that has seen wild games over the 36-game history, the 2010 version will add to that list in which saw a tie for the most points in a game (87), tying the 1988 contest in which the Golden Eagles won 45-42 in Greenville. It was also the 14th time that a game has been decided by seven or fewer points with the Golden Eagles holding an 8-6 mark in those games.
* It was the first time the Golden Eagles have lost to ECU in consecutive games since the 1994-95 seasons.
* The Golden Eagles finish a five-game stretch this week in which the play programs with first-year head coaches. Southern Miss is 3-1 over this span.
* USM and UM meet for the 71st time on the gridiron Saturday and the Golden Eagles snapped a two-game losing streak to the Tigers last season with a 36-16 decision in Hattiesburg.
* The UM game marks the first of four-straight day games for Southern Miss, after playing the first six at night.