MDOT personnel throughout the state will be monitoring the weather and will take whatever measures necessary to keep Mississippi roadways safe. If precipitation occurs, freezing rain may accumulate on bridges and overpasses. MDOT road crews across the state will be placing de-icing materials on roadways to keep them clear and safe for travel.
MDOT encourages motorists to buckle up for safety and drive carefully when traveling in wintry winter.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) offers the following safety tips for motorists:
- Drive according to current road and weather conditions.
- Please pay close attention to the roadway and don’t text while driving.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid situations where you may have to brake suddenly on a slippery surface.
- Have tires and tire pressure checked. Tire pressure decreases in colder weather.
- Give yourself extra time for travel or wait until conditions improve. Also, log on to www.MSTraffic.com for real-time traffic information.
- Tune in to your local television station for local weather reports and always keep your weather radio handy.
- Make sure you travel with at least half a tank of gas and have sufficient windshield washer fluid in the reservoir.
For the most up-to-date information in your area, please visit www.MSTraffic.comand sign up for your traffic alerts. Also, visit http://www.mstraffic.com/mobile to get the latest traffic information from MSTraffic.com on your mobile device.MDOT advises the public to pull off the road to a safe location if you need to check the MSTraffic.com website while driving. MDOT’s number one concern is the safety of the traveling public.