HATTIESBURG, Miss. – Known simply as The Accelerator, The University of Southern Mississippi’s unique business incubator is providing an enormous boost to start-up companies in the Gulf South region.
“This state-of-the-art facility represents opportunities for students, researchers and companies to take an idea and carry it to its fruition as a useful product or service,” said U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.). “In the end, it is a process – which now has a home in The Accelerator – that can lead to more job creation and economic growth in Mississippi.”
U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran offered the keynote address during the grand opening of The Accelerator on Friday, Sept. 17. (Photo by Steve Rouse)
Cochran joined other state and local dignitaries for the official grand opening of The Accelerator held on Friday, Sept. 17 at The Garden, Southern Miss’ innovation and commercialization park.
Officially labeled The National Materials Science Innovation and Commercialization Accelerator, the incubator provides ample space for offices, laboratories and storage; the latest advances in technology and expert guidance for companies attempting to grow a business from the ground up. Currently, the 60,000-square foot Accelerator is operating at approximately 60 percent capacity.
“Throughout our history, Southern Miss has illustrated time and again our willingness to think creatively and act boldly,” said university President Martha Saunders. “The Accelerator stands as a lasting testament to the relentless pursuit of a vision that began as a simple idea more than a decade ago. I believe it is this attitude that makes Southern Miss attractive to entrepreneurs looking for an environment in which they can grow and thrive.”
The Accelerator’s anchor tenants include the following:
· Ablitech, a biotechnology company specializing in Versadel technology under development for curing cancer and other genetic abnormalities.
· Crosslink, a technology leader in Electroactive Polymer Materials focused on providing clients with technically advanced solutions that bring step-change improvements to their products and drive commercial sales.
· KDL Solutions, a professional forensic science company dedicated to providing timely, accurate information to clients.
· Scigenesis, which develops novel, high-performance, stimuli-responsive coatings and film adhesives.
· Mississippi Polymer Institute, which provides workforce development, expert consulting and technical service, produce development, rapid prototyping, pilot manufacturing and product commercialization to Mississippi’s polymer industry members.
· Noetic Technologies, an innovation and commercialization company assisting clients through the multiple phases of technology development, commercialization, process engineering, marketing and business start-ups.
Accelerator Executive Director Sunny Corral said the business incubator is strategically positioned to provide budding companies a blueprint for success in today’s highly competitive marketplace.
“If there is an opportunity to enhance a material’s performance, The University of Southern Mississippi is the place to do it, and The Accelerator is the facility that will equip industrial partners and early-stage companies with the tools required to do this,” said Corral.
For more information about The Accelerator, contact Corral at 601.266.5116 or 601.266.5515.
*Southern Miss PR*
Video of today’s speeches will be posted on PineBeltPRESS.com this weekend.